Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Keepin' it Réal: Days 3 & 4

The weather in Montreal was gorgeous the rest of the week and weekend, which helped get around town during their ‘transit strike.’ I put ‘transit strike’ in quotation marks because though they were on strike, the transit workers still ran the busses and trains during the morning and evening rush hours, and for 2 hours overnight.

Apparently there’s a law in Canada that a union can’t shut down a vital public service. Crazy Northerners. We have a similar law in New York, but when our transit workers went on strike they decided to pay the $1 million dollar a day fine and shut the system down completely. How’s that for a screw you?

Friday I walked down to Old Montreal and the Old Port, which, as you may have guessed, are very old. I saw some great 18th century buildings and a colorful tent on the pier that was home to Cirque du Soleil, who are not quite so old. They have to stay young and bendy.

Some people from CdS were in the crowd on Friday night, and they even invited me out after the show, but by the time I got to the club they were going to, they had moved on. The weather was so nice everyone was in that giddy, first warm weekend kind of mood and the streets were packed at night, so I did some first-class people watching.

Saturday’s shows were a blast, and afterwards I went out with some of the waitstaff from the club to a bar where the bartender recognized me from the show I did Wednesday night out in the burbs. I think my ego swelled up like 3 sizes. She said, “you look like a comedian I saw this week.”

When she found out I was, in fact, the comedian she saw, she told one of the waitresses who was at the show with her, and the people I was with from the club were impressed with my new-found international fame.

All in all, it was a great week of shows in a great city, can’t wait to get back up there.

And to the folks from Calgary, I ended up not driving straight back to NYC (stopped to see a friend in upstate NY), so I was unable to assist in the ride department. Hope your trip rocks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home