Friday, May 25, 2007

I've been up in Montreal for the past couple of days playing at the Comedy Nest, and it's great to be here in Quebec province because I get to realize just how bad my comprehension of French really is. I can speak it o.k., and I can read it well, but man, when French-speakers speak naturally I can't get a freakin' word.

The problem is that once they detect that French isn't my first language, they switch to English instead of repeating themselves in French, so there's no way to improve my ear. I've resigned myself to watching the Simpsons and Futurama dubbed in French as my inter-cultural experience.

On the other hand, the shows have been going great. The first night's show was actually about a half-hour drive out of the downtown area at a rock club called Bourbon Street. There was a great crowd and I had a blast, and it was a memorable Canadian debut. The other comics were really good and we all car-pooled out together which was fun.

Last night was the first night at the Comedy Nest, which is in the Pepsi Forum, which used to be "The Forum" where the Canadiens played. Now it's a movie theater/entertainment complex. The club is great and my favorite thing about it is being able to tell my friends back home that I'm playing "The Forum" which is kind of technically true but makes it sound like I'm playing an arena.

I hope they don't find out otherwise.

3 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger Raffi said...

Welcome to Montreal, hope you’re enjoying our fine assets! (is it obvious that I’m an accountant?)
I was listening to the radio interview you had with Ernie Butler, pretty funny stuff.
It’s good to see an Armenian comic step it up a notch. There are only so many times I can listen to those other stereotypical jokes before they become redundant.
I say, keep up the good work!
Oh, and I found it priceless how you included Lando Calrissian as a "prominent Armenian” on your bio page. Too funny!

Enjoy your stay here, and before you leave, you must have a smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz’s Deli. Best In the City, best in the World!

later,
Raffi Zaroukian

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Bienvenue au Québec! :)
Just discovered you and I think you're really funny. Hope I can catch you if you ever come back....or if you make the Just For Laughs festival :P and please do the Pachelbel thing...c'est super!

See you!

Julie

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Rob² said...

Hope you've enjoyed your time in Montreal... I saw your clip on youtube a while back and listen to it every so often and have shared it with friends. By complete chance I too heard you on the radio here in Mtl and wished I could have attended one of your shows. Be sure to swing by again soon, you definitely have fans in this city.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home