Thursday, January 19, 2006

Who Says I Can't Take Rejection?

All ya gotta do is be polite, and maybe lie a little.

Par example (which is French for fer'instance): I just got a video tape sent back to me from the good people at the Tonight Show With Jay Leno. Included with the tape was a letter on Tonight Show stationary, addressed personally to my manager saying thanks for sending the tape, we enjoyed viewing it but we can't offer Rob a spot.

Now I just sent the tapes out exactly two weeks ago which means they were in possession of it at most a week, so I doubt they actually watched it; but the fact that they took time out of their day to personalize a rejection letter is quite gracious.

To contrast, the folks at Late Night with Conan O'Brien have been sending out the same form letter, word for word, since they started in '93. There's not even a salutation on the letter, it just starts in with a coldly worded "thanks but no thanks." I'm surprised they didn't just get a huge red stamp that says "DENIED!" on it.

It all reminds my of my days in rock bands. When I was in The Steppingstones we actually viewed it as progress when we started getting personalized rejection letters. In fact, our biggest response from a press kit sent to a record company was when we made our page of press quotes entirely out of quoted passages from our rejection letters.

Yeah, we were geeks.

Anyway, I sent the Conan folks a tape on the same day. I can't wait to see if they updated their rejection letter.

1 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Liam said...

If they ever look at my tape to reject, I'lll let you know what I hear. I've been sending them tapes for like four years with no word back. I'm assuming they're still considering me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home