Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Ollie's Sport Shop

This is a picture of my new favorite bar which is owned by one of my best friends from Chicago and is located in downtown L.A. I don't know what's more surprising--that my friend owns a bar or that L.A. has a downtown-- but either way, it is now, in my opinion, the best bar west of the mighty Missisip.

I have a superstition about talking about bars I like because I'm afraid that the bar will then become too hip and trendy thereby ruining what I like about it, so forgive me if I don't tell you the name of it or exactly where it is. But I'll give you a hint: it's not really called Ollie's Sport Shop as it says on the sign.

To fully create a Chicago bar feel in L.A. my buddy tracked down an Old Style sign to greet patrons as they enter. When they were putting up the sign a denizen of the downtown streets looked up, saw the "live bait and tackle" subtitle and said, "there ain't no fishing for miles."

True enough.

If you really want to check it out though, drop me a line. And I'll be doing a couple of shows there in the new year so I guess I'll have to get over my superstition and actually mention the bar by name.

What I can't get over is that three days ago I was playing volleyball in Venice Beach and today it's 21 degrees in Brooklyn and I don't want to leave the apartment. But I'll keep telling myself that living in NYC keeps it real.

Real f&%@ing cold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home