Friday, November 18, 2005

I put on the Nazi uniform, and then things got weird

This week I was an extra on Late Night with Conan O'Brien and my part involved dressing as a Nazi officer, complete with swastika armband, wig, and Hitler mustache. Now, while it's fun to be behind the scenes at a network comedy show, it's kind of disturbing to be dressed as some of the biggest villains of the 20th Century.

"These can't leave the floor" was the first thing the wardrobe people said to us when they handed us the armbands. It's not like the four of us were going to roam the streets of midtown Manhattan in full Nazi regalia, but I did have to take most of the costume off when I went up to the commissary for lunch. I must have been a sight standing in line in my skater t-shirt wearing jodhpurs and knee-high black boots, between one guy dressed as a mummy and another dressed as Kevin Federline.

We stood in the hallway as the band and guests filtered in, and the four of received a steady stream of horrified looks. Everytime someone made eye contact with me I just wanted to say, "I'm so sorry, it's for a bit."

Rosario Dawson was one of the guests and it was hard to hit on her dressed as one of the most evil men of the 20th Century, but so help me I tried.

The bit was actually funny, we were a college mascot called "The Jug Band Hitlers" which proves that you can put the words "Jug Band" before anything and make it better.

"He has cancer."

"Actually, it's Jug Band Cancer."

"Oh, that's not so bad."

Jug Band Car Crash, Jug Band Hurricane. Try it yourself, it's fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home