Thursday, August 04, 2005

Where can a man get some primaquine?

So I'm halfway through the 14-day course of the anti-malaria drug primaquine and I lost the little baggie that the pills were in. I'm hoping it fell out of my bag at home and it's there when I get back.

Since I got the stuff when a doctor in Paktika Province heard I had gotten bitten by a couple of mosquitos the night before, I don't have a prescription. Also, I don't have a doctor here at home because I don't have any really usable health insurance.

Which all leads me to the wonderful conclusion that I had better medical attention in the third world than I do in my own country, which happens to be the U.S. of A. I was in one of the poorest countries in the world and I had a doctor 50 feet away from where I was staying.

The upside is that the medics and doctors in Afghanistan treat the locals when they can. At the same medical facility I saw a local girl getting treated for a broken arm and there was an older woman getting gall bladder surgery.

So if you're out there and have some medical issues to clear up, get yourself to an F.O.B.* in Afghanistan and have it checked out.

While you're there could you pick me up some primaquine?

*Forward Operations Base

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home