Monday, August 08, 2005

The FRENCH?!?

I was at a barbecue this weekend and mentioned that I went to a Bastille day party thrown by French troops at a base in Afghanistan, and two of the Upstate New Yorkers that were listening said, "The French?" with the same shock and mortification as if I had just said Hitler was my golfing buddy.

"Yeah, they've been in Afghanistan since the beginning."

The woman stared at me.

She had no idea how to assimilate this information. These are the French after all, the people we villified as being cowards and weasels because they had the audacity to question whether or not there were actually WMDs in Iraq. Such gaul.

Well, I'm sorry to report, they're in Afghanistan.

Again, actual facts are rather inconvenient when you're up against anger, indignation and Freedom Fries, but what can you do.

I'm not trying to be political or anything, you can still hate the French if you want to, I'm just constantly surprised how a simple little tidbit of information can shake up someone who's so sure of their opinions.

And if you're one of those people, turn away now...

because...

I also saw...

Norweigans!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home