Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Time In Edinburgh


I'm back in NYC after my stint in Edinburgh, slowly recovering from jet lag, and the exchange rate. The week of shows I did were a ton (sorry, tonne) of fun, and it was great to see the famous Fringe Festival (along with the 387 other concurrent festivals) up close and personal.

As my first-ever shows in the U.K., I was excited to see that my material played well on the other side of the Atlantic, and that funny is funny. Especially gratifying was my guest spot in the Liar show, where I not only told a story sans guitar and got solid laughs, I got to meet and perform with some British-based comedians.

All in all, a pretty damn good trip. I hope to get back in the near future to do a more extensive run through the U.K. and possibly Europe, and maybe a full-blown show in the Fringe at some point too...

So here are some pics from my adventure in Harry Potter/Jeckyl & Hyde land. To the left I'm standing in front of the Craggs, the remnants of a defunct volcano that overlooks the city. The peak below is Arthur's Seat in Holyrood Park and that little winding trail going up the middle is what I hiked up to check out the view.
And finally, the pic from the top, just to prove I made it.

The border agents on the way out weren't quite as hostile as the ones on the way in, though the woman at Heathrow did confiscate a pair needlenose pliers from my guitar case. I thought about explaining to her that I had already taken the pliers on three previous flights to and through the U.K. but figured I should just be happy she wasn't asking for any paperwork and settle for getting back to my home country without too much hassle.

Now it's time to go into Scottish food detox so I can be ready for the fall season. Seriously, deep-fried sausages?

6 Comments:

At 12:15 AM, Blogger Guus said...

it would be fun if you could do a show here, in the Netherlands.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger curlybap said...

Deep fried sausages? pah! Now, deep fried Mars bars... that's something.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Bolo said...

Hi Rob!!! GREAT shows man! when are you coming over to Spain?? I'd love to see you live!

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger riin said...

Uh, Scotland is so much closer than USA, but still... I second guus in saying you need to come to the Nederlands or anywhere else on the main Europe - France, Germany, Poland, for all i care, but just somewhere i could have access to. :D Youtube just does not cut it anymore. ;)

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger ducksoup said...

Rob,

I emailed you a while back with a few songs that could be added to the Pachelbel medley. Well, here's another: "Whiskey Girl" by Toby Keith.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Vivian Banta said...

I've walked up to Arthur's Seat myself eons ago. Easier going up than going down because of the gravel and I was wearing sandals. View really is amazing, though I should have done what you did and take a photo of myself there! Very much enjoy your work. Keep it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home