Monday, June 23, 2008

Very sad news

As many of you have probably heard, George Carlin passed away yesterday, which has sent waves of sadness through the comedy community.  The biggest thrill in my career was opening shows for him over the past several months and getting the chance to meet, work with and talk to a comedy legend.

He and the people he worked with treated me and each other like family and I always felt welcome and taken care of.  Though it did take me about 10 shows to work up the nerve to ask to get this picture with him.  His manager took the camera, George put his arm around my shoulder and said, "ah, couple-a assholes."  I couldn't have been happier (though you'd never know it from my stupid expression because I was explaining which button on the camera was the shutter.  I totally choked).

I know I share my sadness with fans and performers around the world, and I hope we can continue his spirit of questioning, challenging, and calling out the stupid shit we do on a a daily basis in politics, religion, and everyday life.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Blogger Scott said...

I'm sorry for your loss, when I heard he passed away, apart from his family, I thought you'd take it pretty hard.

I only wished I could have seen a show of you two.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Jude said...

The only time I saw George Carlin, it was a night when he was sick from a cold and really should've been in bed instead of performing in a small venue in Colorado. In college, in the 70s, one night my brother and I were walking through the dorm when we heard George Carlin's voice coming from a record player. As a girl walked out of that room, my brother asked her "AM?" and she replied "FM." He's an example of the ways comedy makes the world a better place. You don't look all that stupid in the photo. It's great that you have it.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Delissa said...

hey. just heard of your loss. i knew how excited you were to meet and work with him these past months and i lived vircariously through you! i loved the stories you shared and was delighted about how he and his crew treated you. i"m sure he, too, appreciated your talent, wit, energy, sincerity, and love for the craft. i have been a long time fan of Mr. Carlin and his work always made me stop...think...and "cut the bullshit!" on behalf of Brooklyn and Bar Sepia, i send you loads of love...xod

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Tim said...

Hey there Rob,

I actually was fortunate enough to have gone to the performance in Salt Lake about a month ago. Now that GC is gone, I'm sooo glad I went. But I also wanted to let you know that I was introduced to your comedy that night and I thought you were amazing. I've been a fan of GC all my life. I know he truly believed his comedy was an art form. Your style of comedy is much different than his, but he'd be proud of the fantastic job you did opening for him. After that show, I introduced so many friends to your material. Keep up the stand up. You're good at it. And I'm pretty sure George would want you to keep it up as well. He wouldn't have had just anyone open for him. We'll all miss GC, but perhaps by continuing your Pachelbel Rant, you'll help ease the grief that so many comedy fans are feeling right now. "As we go on, we'll remember... ba da da da da da da da da da da."

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger afalco said...

rob p
very sorry to hear of the great Carlins passing...
Since I live under a rock, I didn't know until today and i was floored.
i thought of you immmediately knowing you have been opening for him lately.
I was always amazed at his delivery...his timing...how is whole being was just put right out there...for my entertainment for one hour.
How Awesome that you got to be a part of his legacy...
Just carry on the torch man...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home