Sunday, March 11, 2007

Fun show or just chaos?

I'm still not sure. Last night I did a show at a private club in Princeton, NJ where college students had the run of an open bar for the hour and a half leading up to and all during my show. They were an enthusiastic and energetic crowd, but at times it was just a hot mess.

During the drive home I tried to take an inventory of how many jokes I had to bail out on because I was interrupted, not by heckles or anything mean, just exuberant cheering or people chiming in with their two cents on whatever subject I was about to do a joke on. For example, right off the bat I had to eat my Ronald Reagan joke (which is one of my faves) because the mere mention of the name "Ronald Reagan" set of two solid minutes of hooting and hollering in appreciation for the former Prez (it was Princeton don't forget). If I tried to do a joke about a style of music or a particular performer, it was met with several students hollering their support for the subject followed by several other students denouncing same.

At times I felt like Jerry Springer, but without a stage full of baby-daddies (as far as I know).

But when I was able to do a song or a bit I got a great response, and the club showed me and my opening act the utmost hospitality, so I shan't hold their youthful exuberance against them. All in all it turned out well, even though it wasn't quite the show I was expecting.

My lasting image of the night will be thanks to the guy who introduced us. He was the most boisterous in the room before the show, taking full advantage of the open bar, and our biggest supporter throughout the night. At the end of the evening, when it came time to finally load up the car and head back to NYC, he was in the men's room clutching porcelain in a sleepy embrace.

Hope your head doesn't hurt too badly today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home