Saturday, July 15, 2006

Party on a Boat!

I've had friends who have done gigs on cruise ships, playing to crowds full of senior citizens as they spend their retirement floating around the Caribbean, and people tell me I should try to land such a gig, but I don't think any of them have ever played in the lower deck of a salvaged light ship.

Last Tuesday I played a book release party and had the fun, yet arduous task, of being the first performer in a hot, humid, crowded, windowless room of people who were there for a party and not a show. Sounds horrible but it turned out to be a lot of fun. Once they started pointing the lights towards the stage allowing the audience to actually see me (third song) the set really started to take off.

I actually closed with my Pachelbel bit, which is something I don't often do in NYC due to time constraints, but I'm glad I did. It went over really well and a few people even recognized it from the Dr. Demento Show. Pretty cool.

And the boat didn't sink again either so I'd say the event was a success. I grabbed some decent footage of the event so look for it in an upcoming episode of Life as a Comic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home