Tuesday, August 23, 2005

My Weekend with the Stars

I don't mean to brag too much, but my weekend in the Corpus Christi/Kingsville, Texas area was star-studded.

When I checked into the hotel in downtown Corpus Christi, I could tell that there was something just a little bit off. I smelled geeky subculture. Something about the wacky bumper stickers on the cars in the parking lot, the preponderance of goth teens, the guy dressed in full Klingon gear directing traffic.

Yes, my good fortune found me at the same hotel as a gamers convention. That's video and role playing games I'm guessing. It was a confluence of sci fi, anime, and role playing game fans complete with celebrity appearances by Mirina Sirtis (that's Counselor Troy from Star Trek:TNG), Erin Grey (Wilma Dearing from the Buck Rogers series of the late 70's/early 80's), and Peter Mayhew.

Peter Mayhew.

That's Chewbacca.

But the celebrity train kept on rolling when I hit Kingsville. I was doing a show at Texas A&M--Kingsville, and before showtime I was kicking around the hallways of the student union. On the wall outside the room I was performing in were pictures of past Miss Texas A&M Kingsville winners. Some were pretty, some Stepford scary, but one, from 1996 was rather nice. Here she is:



If you can't make out the name at the bottom it's Eva Longoria.

That's right, Desperate Housewife Eva Longoria. Miss Texas A&M Kingsville 1996: Eva Longoria. I'm going to write her name a few more times so web searches for Eva Longoria show up here.

Yes, Eva was a proud Javelina. If you ever meet her, say "Hey Javalina!" or even "What's up Hog?" (TAMUK's affectionate nickname for their mascot).

I know I'm going to, and hopefully her NBA boyfriend's bodyguards won't beat my ass.

1 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger Manny Saenz said...

Eva Longoria is one Texas A&M Kingville ex-Javelina who many of us Javelina Alumni are very proud of. Texas A&I/Texas A&M Kingsville has actually had it's share of celebrities who have made a name for themselves and continue to promote/express gratitude to the university. Farrah Fawcett (Charlie's Angel) went to UT-Austin; but she (another Corpus Christi native) was nearly a Javelina as well back in the 70's.
Whatever the case, I wish Eva Longoria all the best in life. Once a Javelina, Always a Javelina!
Tusk 'em Hoggies!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home