Saturday, July 02, 2005

I don't know if I'm coming or going

I may be leaving the country next week, may not.

It seems like a weird situation to be in but there you have it. I may be going overseas to do shows for servicemen and women, supposed to leave Thursday, but I haven't gotten the final go-ahead, green light, marching orders, etc. I'm used to being in charge of my own travel arrangements and I have that stuff nailed down well ahead of time to make sure things go smoothly, but I guess this is the way the Army works, and it's making me a little nutty.

It kind of plays into the showbiz habit of not talking about things until they're actually happening. Most folks don't like to say what's in the works because so many things can come up and scuttle the project. Some people say it's a supersition but it's really just a way to avoid having to tell the long and involved stories of why things didn't happen.

Consider:

Q: "Hey, what happened to your show?"
A: "Well, the producer took a job at another production company and she took her assistant with her, and the new guy is trying to develop a project for his girlfriend..."

But if you don't tell people what you're working on:

Q: "Hey, did that thing happen?"
A: "No."

See how easy that is? No "the A&R guy's in rehab," or "the studio got bought out by Sony." It's just a quick 'no' and you're out of the conversation.

So if I go, I'll blog from the airport overseas (not the one in the states because the flight could always get cancelled) and tell you all about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home