Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Jersey Shore, Bruuuuuce, and the Max Weinberg 7

Last night I did a show at Uncle Vinnie's Comedy Club, on the beautiful Jersey Shore, which is all abuzz right now because their favorite son, Bruce Springstein (with whom I share a birthday [Sep 23 if you're scoring at home]) is back on tour.

This is great for all the Bruce fans out there, and for rock and roll, as well as the denim jacket industry, but it also has a profound impact on late night t.v. See, Bruce's drummer is none other than Max Weinberg, of the Max Weinberg 7 on NBC's Late Night with Conan O'Brien.

With Max on the road with The Boss, the Late Night band will be free to be... an actual band.

I couldn't put my finger on the problem at first. Back in the 90's when Conan started, there was something about the band I didn't like. The music was great, the players are all awesomely talented, but there was something weird going on.

Then I realized, Max has never made eye-contact with his band in the decade-and-a-half they've been on the air. I've been waiting for the day when he actually looks at his band while playing and it has yet to come. When they play Conan to the desk and Max bursts into a drum roll, he's looking at Conan.

When he winds up with the big finish and pounds on the cymbals, he's looking at Conan.

I've never even seen him nod at the band, or wink, or acknowledge them in any way. Never anything to say "hey, I'm the bandleader, follow me." It's more like "I'm going over here, you probably should come too because they're paying you but I don't really care either way."

All great t.v. bandleaders had a rapport with their band. Doc Severinsen, Paul Shaffer, Remote Control's Steve Treccase (o.k. he only had a keyboard, but he looked at it!)

So now Max is on the road and filling in with the band is James Wormworth, a drummer who seems to enjoy being on the same stage with the other guys. Here's to a long, successful, and long tour!

Bruuuuce!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger riin said...

You know, i absolutely love you. I do :)

Sorry for not-so-Shakespearean-like comment, but i just had to get it out of my system.

:)

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger jim said...

Oh God, you're right. That must make rehearsals a bitch! Max: "Could you play that last bar quieter next time..." Bandmember: "Who are you talking to? Why wont you look at us you autistic bastard???"

Yeah, I'm not a comedian.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Vinny said...

I thought I was the only musician out there who seemed to notice that lack of rapport.

Also, what the hell is with that drum set and drumming style? I would expect a rock and roll kind of look when he plays, but he has this dorky "I did a statistical analysis in MS and discovered drummers get more chicks than math geeks, so I bought a drum set" style. Oh, and pick up your cymbals, you big dork. I get the camera frame thing, but let's at least TRY to look like a drummer.

How did that dude get the gig with Bruce? Was everyone else sick that year?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home