Monday, October 01, 2007

On your marks, get set and go now...

Sometimes career milestones can sneak up on you. For example, thanks to today's noontime show at the Milwaukee School of Engineering I have accomplished a career goal I didn't even know I had: I performed in the old Blatz Brewery, which was used as the Shotz Brewery in the opening credits of Laverne & Shirley.

As I performed in the student center I could feel the aura and energy of quality late 70's/early 80's sitcoms in the air, and it made me feel warm inside, like comfort food. Like the mac & cheese comfort food they were giving away free during the show.

But the show was fun for several reasons, mostly because I actually like playing at engineering schools. They're filled with smart, tech-savvy students--o.k. nerds--and I fit in quite well (thanks to my cello playing, honor student past). And after the show, when they handed me the check they had written on the envelope "For the Nooner Fund," a reference to an episode of my video podcast.Hella cool, MSOE!

Now, enjoy the awesome theme song:

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:01 PM, Blogger Cranky said...

Awesome. I'm just sitting here eating spaghetti o's and singing the theme song. I *heart* Laverne and Shirley.

 
At 2:53 AM, Blogger jen said...

I am jealous. The Blatz brewery was one of the things that I wanted to see in Milwaukee but wasn't able to visit due to work obligations.

Not sure if that makes me the schlemiel or the schlemazel.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger DeliriumWartner said...

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but I'm pretty sure the theme is remarkably similar to a certain 1790's hit. One that we all should be familiar with.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Hanami said...

Nice setting!!

Well, I know it has nothing to do with the post itself (except maybe with your alusion to your chelo youth...) but I just watched a youtube video in wich you were performing some kind of Pachebel-guitar-monologue and I just had to tell you I loved it!

I love monologues, but yours is the first one I have seen where the performer is speaking AND playing the guitar at the same time... woooa so much for miself, I can't play a thing... Keep up the good work, and if by any chance you happen to come to Spain (near my city, Zaragoza...) you can count on me among the public!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home