Friday, October 22, 2004

Capital City

I admit it, I was one of those people who thought the only things in D.C. were the monuments and the ghetto. Last weekend I went down there for a show at George Mason University and now I know better. My buddy James the Fed lives in DC, is a federal investigator and is one of the many people who work in the public sector but isn't a big power player that by definition must live in the tonier suburbs outside of the city.

I stopped in at his place before the gig so he could tag along. I figured someone authorized to carry a gun would be a perfect addition to my security team which usually just consists of a really ratty jacket that makes me look unworthy of being mugged (don't worry, he was off duty so no taxpayer dollars were wasted, and he only shot a couple of people).

After the show we headed back into "The District," as Craig T. Nelson calls it, and went to a bar in his neighborhood. No heads of state, no marble statues, no street crime, just a bunch of people in their 20's and 30's having a drink, watching baseball, and playing Connect 4.

Yes, they had Connect 4 at the bar. Well, not at the bar, at a table in the lounge area near the couches and recliners. The whole joint was done up to look like someone's parent's rec room, making the people who come from all over the country to work in DC feel at home. If only they had a washer and dryer I totally could have felt like I was crashing at Mom's place. Except of course,the fact that they charge $5 for beer. My mom charges three.

So I may have to go back. The people are nice, the ladies are cute and gainfully employed, and no one's in show business which is a nice change of pace.

1 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger white_collar_punk said...

Sound like a cool bar. Can you give me some more details, so I can find it?

Yeah, DC rocks, all sorts of single, professional women.

PS I helped do sound for your show at South Dakota State University in fall 1997(?). Still have the "playing for drunks" CD, simply priceless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home